Medicine generally involves any substance or mixture thereof which is used, manufactured, sold in diagnosis or prevention of diseases. The major potential of biotechnology in the medical sciences is on the production of high quality and abundant medicine products (pharmaceuticals).
- Manufacture of diagnostics e.g. ELISA kits, pregnancy test kits, HIV rapid test.
- Manufacturing of Therapeutics like insulin for diabetic patients, antibiotics and more drugs.
OTHER MEDICAL APPLICATION
- Genomics and drug delivery systems
- Regenerative medicine
- Rational drug design system
- Personalised medicine
- Protein therapeutics
- Gene therapy for genetic disease
Several concerns have been raise such as ethical conduct of medical biotechnologies but the National Biosafety Framework addresses all these.