Biotechnology is a powerful tool which can be harnessed in environment management to clean air, waste, water and populated soil. It can also be applied in producing bio-energy and replacing harmful chemicals in the environment with biodegradable substitutes.
POTENTIAL APPLICATION OF BIOTECHNOLOGY IN ZIMBABWE
- Waste water purification using microorganisms-bioremediation of sanitation facilities will clean the urban sewage system at lower costs.
- Production of bio-herbicides for weed control to deal with noxious weeds like the water hyacinth at Lake Chivero.
- Environmentally friendly waste management techniques to produce biogas, biofuel, and bio-fertilizers for, agricultural and municipal biodegradable waste.
- Production of bio-herbicides which are biodegradable and hence eliminating reducing residue carry over problems.
- Modify bacteria to clean up oil spill.
CONCERNS ADDRESSED BY THE NATIONAL BIO SAFETY FRAMEWORK
- Effects on the non-target organisms
- Weediness due to gene flow
- CMOs may worsen an existing pest due to development of resistance of e.g. bt over time